Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gone Flying

Yesterday I took a friend up for a flight and the infamous $100 hamburger. Only after we were up about 3,000 feet did he tell me that this was his FIRST flight in a small airplane. I usually try to find that out before I take someone up, believe me it does make a difference in how you do things when you have a "first timer" on board.
What I experienced yesterday was a wonderful time that I had almost forgotten myself, that thrill of breaking free of gravity and solid ground and flying like the birds do. Watching my friend taking in everything for the first time that I have started to take for granted. I was able to see thru his eyes the sights that have become so commonplace to me and experience again the thrill that started me flying years ago. Looking down on familiar places but from a totally new angle really amazes folks - seeing more and different colors from above the haze line, watching smoke rise with the wind and actually feeling that wind as it moves the airplane. All wonderful feelings that unfortunately only a small few folks get to experience in life. Many of my pilot friends have told me they long ago forgot those thrilling adventures and now just look upon flying as another method of getting somewhere fast. I hope that never happens to me - I love the flight - the trip is, to me, almost more fun than getting to the destination. In fact, sometimes when I get to my destination I will intentionally veer away just to spend a few more moments up in the sky experiencing that freedom that folks tied to the ground just don't realize.
A short 20 minute flight to the North Georgia Mountain region, then lunch with good friends, and another short flight back to Atlanta doesn't take too much time, but it certainly removes years from my life as I get to feel like a child again for a short amount of time. When I reflect and remember how great it is I am always reminded of taking a young boy up for a flight once. He was in the back seat, with headsets on his small head, just talking away but I couldn't quite hear or understand what he was saying. When I got his attention and repeated my question he told me he was just talking with his dad who had died the year before and this boy knew that he was much closer to heaven so he was having a discussion about what he missed about his dad. I had trouble finishing that flight - my eyesight seemed to develop a very wet blurry view - but believe me I did extend that flight as long as possible, for all 3 of us.
Remember to live life fully each and every day. Everyday is a gift, that is why it is called the "Present."

No comments:

Post a Comment