Monday, June 20, 2011

Getting Noticed

Have you thought about what you are doing in both your personal life as well as business life to get noticed?
Since yesterday was Father's Day I was afforded the luxury of getting to do exactly what I wanted (as long as my children stayed happy)and fortunately for me my children are all grown (one with a 2 year old girl who really made me appreciate this special day even more) so they were perfectly content to let me read the paper and surf the net as I wished.
What I discovered was that so many folks today are doing weird or crazy things just to get noticed. Now it used to be that only car dealers did that on TV, but today it seems as if everyone is doing it. I wonder when the buying public became so stupid as to fall for these outrageous tactics? I also wonder if it really increases business for long term customers or just gets the few curious bottom feeders who drain the life out of your business with demanding everything but not being willing to pay for anything, thus allowing you the opportunity to put yourself out of business by doing business with them and meeting their demands.
I have many friends in the retail and wholesale sides of business in the ceramic tile and stone world - good friends - who also happen to be good business people. Rarely do we see them doing crazy or outrageous things to get noticed.
Oh they are noticed, but it is for the RIGHT reasons, such as dong more than expected, doing everything correctly the first time around, giving value for the price paid, etc, etc.
I wonder often how quickly our business world would improve if everyone just decided to provide QUALITY products and services at fair prices and go back to just allowing the marketplace to decide which company to use, rather than paying attention to the publicity stunts that some do just to get noticed?
These are my thoughts on this subject, I'd be honored to hear your thoughts.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment