Sunday, February 27, 2011

Showing? Teaching? Selling?

This weekend I had a small project I wanted to complete so I went to a local retail store that sells DIY ceramic tile and stone (the store name isn't important) while there I noticed a DIY clinic going on for how to install ceramic tile. Wanting to learn more I stopped and listened to the person (not identifying male or female) doing the demo clinic. I could not believe my ears - almost every single item this person said was either completely wrong or very misleading. There were about 8 other folks there with me, most seemed interesting in doing some tile work in their bathrooms but the good news is that after this "clinic" none of them bought anything. Bad news may be that this "instructor" may have hurt the ceramic tile industry by costing us potential customers - or maybe - just sent these folks to a full service location to have the job done by a professional installer - at least that is what I am hoping!

The list of what was said or done wrong is long and boring, but the quick highlights are that this person used what could have been a great opportunity to sell products into a lesson on what not to say or do if you are in the business of selling things that needed to be installed. First they had laid out a huge selection of tools that they claimed you MUST have to do the installation - most of which were wrong or not mandatory but obviously this instructor was told to "sell tools" today! Next the instructor told everyone how EASY it was to do the job if you used the right materials - like pre-mixed mortar (think mastic) and pre-mixed grout. Nothing said or explained about leveling the subsurface or about how to properly install the backer board - however they did want you to use backer board - just never got around to saying why or how to use it. Showed how easy it was to spread the sticky stuff - using a very small "v" notch trowel that was way too small - and circular motions without any keying in of the mastic. Just laid the 12" x 12" tile into ( well ok on top of the slight layer of ) the mastic - placed a spacer (actually used 3 spacers on each tile side) and moved onto the next tile. Finally told everyone that after waiting just 1 hour or so you could then grout the job using the pre-mixed grout and be finished by supper time. W R O N G !!!!!!!

Time for the Q & A part of the clinic - first question - what is the difference between porcelain tile and other clay tiles? Answer: not much difference, just use which ever one you like the look of best - they are just different ways of making tiles! WHAT???? Next question - can I use the same 4" x 4" tile on both the walls and floor in my bathroom? Answer - sure not a problem - no discussion about slip/fall issues or quality/thickness of the tile. Last question (and this one was the best) how long after I finish the tile do I need to wait to start using the shower again? Answer: - get ready - here it comes - remember they were told that you could grout after on 1 hour or so - answer: you must wait until at least the next morning to run water on the installation. WOW!!!

Now I know many folks don't have the complete technical knowledge that I've been exposed to during my 35+ years in the tile and flooring business - but anyone should have enough of a "BS" instinct to realize that this person had NO CLUE as to what they were saying. Some department manager told this person to go give a DIY clinic and they did - maybe to the best of their ability - but as the judge says so often: Ignorance is no excuse! I'm not sure who I blame more in this situation - the clerk who obviously knows they know nothing about this or the company management who seemingly cares less what is being said - they just want a DIY clinic to sell more stuff.

Now I don't want to embarrass either that company (who USG happens to do business with) or the individual who gave that sorry excuse for a DIY clinic - but I do want to help improve our industry by suggesting to anyone and everyone who reads this blog that we all have a responsibility to educate and train everyday. So now, the logical question - DID I TAKE THAT RESPONSIBILITY MYSELF? I'm happy to report that I did and I also did it in a very kind way - hoping that the clerk took my message back to store management with the spirit with which it was given - to help them learn and an offer to help train them if they desire.
I suppose only time will tell if I get that call for the training...... Maybe I'll find time again in several weeks to attend that same DIY clinic and see if anything has changed.

Your thoughts??
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment