Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March Madness - I'm not talking basketball here!

It's amazing the different types of responses you can get when you attempt to talk to some people. I've always held the thought that if you want to HEAR (and maybe learn) you must cultivate an open mind. When you ask most folks if they feel they have an "open mind" you will most always hear - ABSOLUTELY. Then when you start to talk about something they tune you out or become totally disinterested in even listening. I suppose given today's times that concept (listening to others thoughts or opinions that may be different from yours) is considered old fashioned. I find myself wondering why so many folks today have such resistance to hearing something new or different? Could it be that they already have their minds made up about how "things" are or should be, and just don't want to "rock" their worlds? I don't know of anything much worse than the hardened soil of a closed mind!

What can cause this? I have several potential suggestions:

PRIDE - Sometimes our pride causes us to feel that we already know what's best. Nobody else could think of something "better" than what we did.
FEAR - We are sometimes afraid of what may be said or that we may learn, that we didn't consider earlier and it could possibly cause us difficulties in what we already know.
BITTERNESS - We are angry or bitter because someone else was (or is) smarter (or more educated on that subject) than we are and thought of this new or better way before we did.

This leads me to ask a very difficult question: Are you willing to go thru the next 10 years just as you did the last decade? If so, Why? Are you willing to step out of your comfort zone and listen to some new data or thoughts? If not, Why not? (I know that was 2 questions but cut me some slack here - I'm rolling.)

I'm suggesting that for the Lenten Season this year instead of "giving up" something you consider adding something - and of course that "something" is - listening, really listening, to others viewpoints and consider what they may be advocating. Then actually DO something what what you just learned and see where it may lead you. It's during that "DOING" part that the fear factor seems to appear for most folks.

One of my favorite saying's is: It's what you learn after you "know it all" that really counts - and this statement is attributed to Harry S Truman. What is it today that you are absolutely positive that you "know it all" about that you're willing to listen to others with an open mind?

These are my thoughts, what are yours?

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment