Monday, August 15, 2011

Know and Use your Strengths

So many folks today tend to waste time and energy suffering and worrying about stuff they wish they could do, rather than understanding and knowing their own strengths. This "I Wish I could......." mentality is a killer to your optimism and energy. I saw a post on a blog recently titled "Are you a Duck or Eagle?" - and the whole theme was knowing and understanding what you are and then using your strengths to become the best YOU can be, rather than attempting to become something or someone that you aren't. Both the Duck and the Eagle are fantastic at what each of them do, and extremely poor if they ever attempt to do the other's role. Same with us humans.

When we were young we saw the world as our banquet table, waiting to conquer our dreams and desires. We generally ruled out nothing, and that was and is great for a young person, however most of us have long ago passed that point in life. This became extremely clear to me this past weekend at my 42nd high school class reunion. I saw folks who have "made it" and others still trying to "find themselves." It is highly unlikely you will ever make star status as a singer if you spend your time swimming every day, however, you make become the next Olympic swimming star if you continue going to your strengths and likes.

Many experts advise us to discover your greatest weaknesses and work to shore them up. I suggest the opposite, focus and favor your aptitudes, passions and talents then spend your time developing your skills there. You can become really great at something you love, while the best you will ever become if you focus on your weakness is possibly just mediocre at best. It is highly unlikely anyone will ever pay you for something you just due because you learned to be average at it, while many will pay for something you are fantastic doing and become one of the best at it. I never have been very good at being a handyman doing home repairs, but by following my strengths and likings I am blessed to earn enough money to pay others, who are good and happy doing that, while I enjoy (and earn money) doing what I do so well.

How do you discover your callings? Your strength's? I suggest you spend some quality time thinking about and listing the following:
1. What things are easy for me?
2. What do others tell me I do exceptionally well?
3. What things do I do that make me lose total track of time?
4. What do I find fun and fulfilling?

When you list activities that appear on all 4 lists then you will be focusing in on your strengths and know what to work on. I believe it is far wiser to explore and develop your aptitudes, passions, and talents and then you will quickly find tremendous enjoyment and satisfaction and become excellent in your field. That is when others will highly reward you for what you do.

This is my thoughts and opinions on this, what are yours?
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment