Thursday, September 8, 2011

Are you unemployed today?

So many people I run into these days are either unemployed or underemployed. They're good folks, just looking for that break to get back into the world of the gainfully employed. I have several suggestions for you today.

Remember the 4 "P's" you need for success:
PREPARATION
PERSEVERANCE
PATIENCE
PERSISTENCE

I truly believe the most important is the first "P" of Preparation. I've done my fair share of interviewing (on both sides of the table) and I want to suggest several BETTER THAN AVERAGE questions. Most interviewers ask about the same questions - "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" Most interviews are short on probing questions and focus too much on the exact same information that has already been given on the resume.

Below are some questions (my TOP 10 bakers dozen) that I've used before when I've interviewed folks, and I've always had this type of info ready when I've been the one being interviewed. This is valuable information that will help both sides decide if the position and you are right for each other.

*When I call your references, what will they say about you? Why do they feel that way?
*What accomplishments are you particularly proud of and why?
*What motivates you? How do you motivate others? Why does that work for you?
*Why are you in the job market right now?
*Where do you see yourself in five years? Why?
*How do you resolve disputes? Why does that work?
*Describe your management style. Why do you believe it works for you?
*What is the biggest mistake you've ever made? How did you recover from it?
*Most everyone claims to have good communication skills, tell me about yours? Why are yours different and why do they work well for you?
*If you had a "Magic Wand" describe your ideal job and work environment.
*What is the biggest decision you ever had to make? Why did you make it as you did? How did it turn out? What, if anything, would you do differently today?
*Describe your dream organization chart and how you fit into it.
*What question do you want me to ask you that I haven't ask about yet? Why?

I believe if you think about and know the answers to the above questions you will do much better than the average on landing the right position for you. Good Luck!

These are my thoughts, what are yours?
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment