Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Welcome TalkFloor followers

Today is a big day on my calendar as I welcome the followers of TalkFloor (www.talkfloor.com) to our little tribe. Dave Foster and I have been discussing this move for quite a while now, and as many things seem to be, it took much longer than either of us anticipated. Maybe our entire flooring industry is subject to that some issue.
I read another blog today that talked about how we vote in this country and why it takes longer than we want to receive results. We currently need to wait most of the evening, sometimes dragging on into the night and early morning hours, to discover who won what political race. I agree with that author that it doesn't make sense in today's times with the technology we have available that we can't track the votes hourly and report the results almost as they happen. Downside argument seems to be that (A) cost to set up the system would be higher than what we currently do, (B) some folks wouldn't go vote because their candidate is leading (or losing) or (C) the always big reason - potential voter fraud. Now I am not the brightest candle in the box and never claim to be, but I know folks much smarter than me can design systems to overcome the fraud potential issue, and cost is secondary to any politician after they get in office so this is easily overcome and that just leaves the final concern of folks too lazy or uneducated about their vote power. How we change people and their actions is to offer them something they (1) want more, (2) feel better about, (3) make them angry about the current status. I believe that hourly reporting of the voting status would overcome the feelings of not caring by addressing all 3 of the above concerns.
I try to live my life based on EXCELLENCE, and daily look at things to see how we can make the item or system better. Sometimes it does cost more, but the value received is always higher when something is improved dramatically based upon excellence.
What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment