Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dealing with your double-edged sword

Life is all about choices isn't it? Sometimes we must deal with our own creation of a double-edged sword. We make certain choices and then the consequences (intended or unintended) come back to attack us. I've had that type of a week already.

I try to be a super competent person, but to do that my own double-edged sword keeps poking me in my own backside. I want activity, movement forward, but to obtain that I need to stop and focus. I want to be available, but to obtain that I need to have that clear sense of direction, control my schedule, and say no to some activities. I want accountability - FROM OTHERS - but to obtain that I need to provide accountability to others and accept responsibility for my actions or lack there of.

In the aviation world we have a great saying: You can have a choice of FAST, ACCURATE, or CHEAP - pick which two of the 3 you want! Rarely if ever will you be able to get all 3 at the same time. The business world is much like that also, but unlike flying you generally won't actually die from your mistakes. Oh you may kill your business, but life goes on anyway, it just isn't nearly as pleasant.

I try to focus on ROI - no not the "return on investment" exactly, more like "RELATIONSHIPS, OUTCOMES, and IMPROVEMENTS". I realize that I really can't control what has happened in the past, I don't have a magic wand to wave and make bad history situations go away. But what I can do is promise to do is to be available and help prevent or stop bad situations from happening again in the future. Oh, but that double-edged sword again then makes ME responsible for working doubly hard to insure success.

I strive to create some kind of a positive outcome in everything I do every day, but the weight of that sword sometimes gets heavy and many times pokes me. Yet my goal is to strive for that positive outcome anyway. More often than not, it will happen, maybe not exactly as I envisioned it, but it will be better than it was before.

How can I help you this week? How can I make a difference for you?
Please let me know
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment