Thursday, February 9, 2012

Can you see your Reflection?

Have you walked by a glass storefront lately and seen your reflection? I did recently and I discovered that my image provided more questions than answers for me.
Did your reflection accurately show who you are? Mine didn't.
Did it show what your values represent? Mine didn't
Does it show your vision or mission? Nope mine didn't either.
In fact, did it even accurately reflect how you look or was that image even slightly distorted? Mine was.

Why the questions? If you can't accurately see what you want to show others in a glass reflection how will others know what it is you are trying to communicate? Many times we believe that we are clearly communicating things but in reality we are confusing the situation rather than communicating clarity. Are you comfortable with ambiguity? Are others any more comfortable than you are? If you feel the answers are no to those questions, what are you going to do today to stop it? How do you handle it?

Unlike my usual posts, where I attempt to provide all the answers to the questions I ask, today I'm requesting that YOU provide me with the answers. I found myself using what I thought was clear and accurate words to communicate my thoughts to others, and discovered that nobody accurately understood what I was attempting to say. I Completely miscommunicated my message without realizing I was doing it. I thought I was very accurately reflecting my thoughts and intentions to others, yet that image was reflected distorted. Since I always preach self responsibility for your actions, then I must accept that I did something wrong here. I talked but nobody understood - that isn't communications, it is just noise.

So here is my request. The folks who take the time to read this message (YES. YOU!) have all experienced this from one side or the other, so please reply to this and share your answers with me and others as to how you have learned to overcome this challenge.

We'll all be waiting to hear from YOU! I NEED to hear from you!
Steve

1 comment:

  1. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it, but this happened just yesterday when I apparently completely upset a coworker by trying to clarify something and he thought I was telling him his idea was junk. I'm still confused, but working on figuring it out!

    ReplyDelete