Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What can I do to help?

Have you ever heard of Ephraim Wales Bull? He is buried in a cemetery in Boston. This is the man who created Concord grapes - yet he never profited from the grapes because he died before they were marketed and used in jellies and jams. The reason I share this story about Ephraim Wales Bull is because the epitaph on his grave marker reads, "He Sowed, Others Reaped."

I've spent this week at our USG Research and Innovation center near Chicago, IL and was privileged to witness this attitude from almost everyone I came into contact with. What a refreshing and enjoyable attitude to receive as a gift from others. People providing help without expecting anything in return except the pleasure they received from helping others grow and live better lives.

I've been on the receiving end of the opposite attitude - and it is quite painful. I've witnessed folks who only care about themselves and what's in it for them! That doesn't make a good working relationship. Rick Warren started his best seller book, "Purpose Driven Life." with a chapter 1 title of "It's not about You!" We should all be required to read this and understand the true meaning behind it.

What about you? What attitude do you consistently show toward others? Do you actively attempt to provide help to others without expecting anything in return? May I suggest you try it for the rest of this week and see how it improves YOUR life?

Please let me know what I can do to help you this week!

Steve

1 comment: