Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Never Stop Learning

Lately I've spent more time learning than teaching.  It is a different role for me, but one that I very much enjoy. I thought I knew everything I needed to know about cement but have discovered (once again) just how little I really know about yet another subject. Besides the fact that the cement business, like every other business, keeps growing and changing so you MUST keep on learning, I've also discovered that also like many other things, even the word "CEMENT" means something different than I thought it did! 

A "Cement" is a binder - a substance that sets and hardens independently and binds other materials together.  This is not to be confused with "Concrete", which is made of cement and aggregates. 

On top of that, there are different types of "CEMENT" - Hydraulic and Non-Hydraulic.  The first cures and hardens because of hydration - that is a chemical reaction with the mixing water. The Non-Hydraulic cement must be kept dry to develop their strength.

There is even an organization devoted entirely to cement - http://www.cement.org/
Wow! I had no idea how little I knew (and still don't know) about cement.  I suppose I better go back to working and start learning more so I can share more about my newly found knowledge.

As most of you already know, I like quotes and several pop into my mind today:

     It's what you don't know, that you don't know, that will hurt you!  and:

     It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts!   I'm heading back to school now!

Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment