Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Connections and Communicating

I've just spent several days in Florida working with a tile distributor rep to help educate him on one of our products. During the time we rode together in his car from place to place we were able to talk and discuss our careers and the paths we both took. As we talked I discovered that I have several connections that could be very helpful to him and so I shared that information with him and then made several phone calls to complete the connections. As it turned out he now has a potential new customer for his company, and I have two folks who are happy with me for getting them together and helping them both.
As I reflect on this I realize that this is what life is all about - learning of others wants/needs/desires and helping them obtain them. This is made easier by you yourself having made many connections and by sharing those freely. When you help others get what they want you benefit at least as much as they do.
As I look at my address book on my BlackBerry I see names of folks from my past who have helped me at times when I needed it, and I in return have helped them. One of those friends happened to be the person my distributor rep friend (now) wanted to connect with. As I see names in the directory I also visualize the past friendships and relationships I have with those folks and sometimes think about a connection that just pops into my mind to help them.
It makes me feel wonderful, useful, and most of all grateful to be alive and to have such wonderful connections in my life.
I have heard it repeated many times :The happiest people are those who serve others and help them get what they desire in life. Somehow life just seems to pay you back many times over for your efforts. Try it today for yourself.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment