Sunday, May 2, 2010

Return to the world

I've spent the past week at the Coverings Show in Orlando. It was fantastic to see and catch up with so many of my friends from the tile and flooring industry, but as always at these events, very rushed and only surface discussions. Friendship, I have come to believe, is absolutely one of THE most important aspects of life. Everyone is connected to everyone else by, I believe, only 6 links. To me that means that the more friends (relationships) you have the closer you are to everyone you meet daily.
Now some folks may feel this isn't a good thing, but I believe it is and I value meeting someone new and finding out we have a mutual friend somehow somewhere. The longer I live the more important and valuable my friends become to me. I can easily buy new "stuff" but replacing a friend is never the same because we all have different values/views/opinions that we alone bring to the relationship.
One friend at the show commented that he did not ever read "Blogs" because he doesn't care about other peoples opinions unless they are noted "Experts" in their field. I felt sad for him, I believe he is missing a great value in his life because of that opinion. I have found I can improve and gain from everyone, no matter their status in life or business. It reminds me of that old saying: You can learn something from everybody - some teach us what to aspire to, others teach us what to avoid becoming!
Make this a fantastic day, go make a new friend.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment