Saturday, July 24, 2010

Can doing nothing make you more productive?


Sometimes the key to getting a lot done is to actually do nothing at all. As I write this I am setting at my lake house doing nothing all day. I find that when I am able to stop and do nothing I begin to think much more clearly then when I don’t have my “usual, normal” busy surroundings and activities around me.

My “normal” work week day is filled with emails, multitasking, calls and meetings. Sometimes you just gotta let things slip. You have to be willing to fail on the less important things. You just need to let them go occasionally. We all get so consumed with tacking everything that lands on our plate that time for ourselves eventually disappears. My theory is that letting things that seem important but really aren't so critical slip and possibly never get done is a key to getting more "real" work done. By not getting caught up by working on every little thing that comes my way, I seem to have more time and energy to dedicate to more important matters that really make a difference. The key to accomplishing this feat is during quiet time I have to think and understand what the important matters are in my life. In my case, I need to write them down and keep referring to them so I don’t lose sight of my goals.

I know taking better care of my body and prioritizing my tasks are critical components of high performance. I know the better I prioritize and manage stress, the better my overall life will be. Yet somehow I seem to get so caught up in the rush of the business week and the tizzy that surrounds me I forget what I know and do that urgent thing that in the bigger picture really will not matter much day after tomorrow. The important tasks that will impact me and my life get shoved backwards because they have no “urgent” component attached to them until the final deadline day arrives, which then causes another whole new set of stressful situations.

Today as I sit quietly looking out over the lake I am able to relax, think more deeply, and really concentrate on what I need to accomplish and the priority assignments that will have the most meaning in my world. No phones, no urgent emails, no meetings, just quiet time to think and meditate about everything. Even writing a blog gets easier and clearer by using this technique.

I’m going to end this blog now, head down to the water’s edge, play with my dog, take a swim, drink a cool adult beverage, have a conversation with my lovely wife while holding her hand and continue to think deeply about my world, what is right with it, what I need to change to make it better. Yes, it is a great day today!
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment