Thursday, July 8, 2010

Focus

Many folks want absolute FOCUS in their lives. I saw an interview with a tennis player who said she has been doing only tennis in her life for the past 18 years. She now regrets that she has not spent a "normal" life enjoying many different things but rather a single focus only on tennis.
That is almost the opposite of how I have spent my life - I have, what I like to call, "many points of contact" in my life. I have purposely tried to have various activities, with various people, so that the variety has given me, in my humble opinion, a great spice to my life rather than just a single focus.
So who is right? Should we spend our lives experiencing many points of contact or should we just focus on one single area and do that activity in depth? Both probably have their place in the world, yet both could probably be abused and over done. I believe that because I make a conscious decision about how I live and am aware of why I choose to live this way, it is the correct decision for me. I'm sure that girl from the tennis interview felt that way - up until now - when she sayes she now regrets having "just tennis" or just a single focus, in her life.
Maybe it is because I am in my late 50's and she is just in her late 20's that we seem so far apart on how we view our choices, or did SHE make that choice or was that choice given to her by her parents and she just complied? Either way, my point in this raveing is to have you become aware of your focus (or lack thereof) and WHY you choose to live that way.
It has been said the only life worth living is an examined life. Well I have examined my life, the tennis player is in the process of examining her life, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment