Monday, April 18, 2011

Fresh Start

It's spring - A time of fresh starts. Here in the South we have all sorts of new growth popping open and blooming for a new season. In the Christian religion this week also marks the start of Holy Week, another time of new beginning's and fresh starts.

I love this time of year, yes partly because of the weather (although I do dislike the pollen) but mostly because every single year I get a wonderful opportunity for a "DO OVER" or fresh start on those things that I just haven't gotten right during the past year. It doesn't seem to matter what you've done, or how badly you've blown it - spring is the time of year when everyone is open and receptive to new and fresh starts.

What is it in your world that you may need a "Fresh Start or a DO OVER" on? I know I have several projects that just haven't hit the mark I wanted them to, so I'm taking this opportunity to correct that and start again. Is your business model not producing the results you wanted? How about gaining control of your schedule? What activities have you focused on when you may not have had a real clear sense of the direction you need to be going? Can you change that now? One biggie for me is losing intense focus on certain of my priorities because I have "issues" saying NO to many items that come along and grab my attention. NOW is when I'm giving that up and taking personal responsibility and accountability for those results.

One other big problem for me is sometimes my attitude gets in the way (this probably never happens to you does it?) I want to take my long learned action mentality of NEVER GIVE UP, and continue to push it without stopping and evaluating or reflecting on what I am battling for. I very wise person told me just last week that I need to work on "Choosing my battles" better - I tend to burn a lot of energy and unnecessary capital on some small items that just aren't worth the efforts.

I recall something that someone else once said to me and left a deep impression on me: I can't control what happened in the past, but, If you give me a chance I promise you I will be personally available to assist you and help stop situations like that from happening again in the future. I believe that qualifies as a FRESH START. It definitely makes a positive difference in the outcomes that are touched.

These are my thoughts, what are yours?

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment