Monday, June 4, 2012

Veterans

This week I'm on vacation but working hard because my vacation is helping our daughter and son-in-law take care of their new baby, our second grandchild and first grand boy.  My son-in-law is in the Army stationed at Ft. Polk and therefore we are surrounded by soldiers and veterans. I've heard yes sir and yes mam all day long showing respect for everyone they come into contact with. It's not just verbal respect that I'm seeing either, they also hold doors open for people, give space in traffic and generally behave in a complete manner that shows their respect for other people.

What strikes me the most about how the Army has changed since I was in it (1969-1972) is how much more professional the soldiers have become. As usual my mind has wandered to business, and how great these soldiers will be as future employees in the business world.  From my observations I believe this next generation of employees will be fantastic.  They are disciplined, dedicated, well trained, flexible in their mission and certainly willing and able to obey orders.  These young men and women are accustomed to working within a system and to helping to improve that system when and where they see the opportunity, yet they never show disrespect or disobedience.

As I observe these soldiers I feel a great sense of peace knowing that they are currently guarding our freedom in this great country of ours as well as a sense of peace knowing that our future leaders will come from within these ranks and our way of life will continue.  As they rejoin the civilian population they will be productive and valuable to whatever position they end up working in back in their communities. 

I feel very confident and excited about the future today.  How do you feel?

These are my thoughts, what are yours?

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment