Saturday, December 31, 2011

Are you a golfer?

Are you a golfer? I'm certainly not, however, when I played golf, I thought I was doing pretty well just to get the ball somewhere on the putting green.
The truth be told, my main goal was to reach the green without majorly embarrassing myself, so I was satisfied even when my ball made it somewhere near the fringes.
One day a local golf pro told me that the key difference between an average golfer and one who is excellent is this: The truly great players shoot for the hole, not somewhere near the hole or somewhere on the green. They aim directly for the hole.
He told me, “You should make the hole your goal.” My intelligent, thoughtful response was, “Yeah, right! That’ll be the day.”
I didn’t think I’d ever be able to hit the hole, so I didn’t even try. The reason so many of us get stuck, unable to move deeper into whatever we attempt is because we don’t think it’s truly possible, at least for us. And so we don’t even try.
For 2012 one of my wishes is for everyone who has a huge dream to make the honest attempt to reach the dream. While thinking about this I realized that my golf game mistake was the exact same mistake many others make with their dreams. Now I don't ever dream of being a great or even good golfer - I just don't care for the game that much. However, I do want to be a better pilot and I do have several other things that I want to improve at doing - and for those items I need to "shoot for the hole" rather than just aiming for the fringe and being satisfied.
My New Years Wish for you is to "SHOOT FOR THE HOLE!" and to have a very Happy 2012.
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment